Here are a few tips on how to combat the challenges of winter motoring whether by car or motorbike:
- Check your vehicle - screenwash, wipers, oil, coolant/antifreeze, brake fluid, tyres (inc spare!), lights etc
- Carry the following - de-icer, warning triangle, jump leads, first aid kit, hi viz vest
- For bikers, - insert winter linings in gear, re-waterprrof jackets and pants, check boots for good grip on soles, wear layers, carry a spare pair of gloves and raingear, consider heated grips.
- Plan your journey - look at weather forecasts, Met Eireann or Accuweather and Mapalerter (local updates on roadworks etc)
- Allow more time if adverse weather conditions - rain, wind, ice, snow, fog - you may need to stop more frequently if tired, especially driving/riding in darkness
- Check your insurance for Breakdown cover